COVID-19: Fiji’s 9th positive case had contacted 838 individuals

Minister for Health and Medical Services, Dr Ifereimi Waqainabete. PICTURE: FILE

Fiji’s 9th COVID-19 case, a 57-year-old man who recently returned from a large religious gathering in New Delhi, India had the highest direct and casual contacts compared to the other three clusters.

This was revealed by Health Minister Dr Ifereimi Waqainabete, who said the patient had directly and indirectly contacted 838 individuals, five of whom tested positive to the COVID-19 virus in Suva and Labasa.

“From cluster one, we’ve had 165 contacts both direct and casual, out of that 165, a few of them were symptomatic and five came up as positive, while 160 remain asymptomatic at the moment,” Dr Waqainabete said.

“With cluster two, this is based out of the Nadera case, there were 30 contacts and none of them have any symptoms and they are all in isolation.

“We have the last cluster which is based on the Nadi case and that lady does not at the moment have any significant contacts of concern that we are worried about.

“In terms of the those who have been returning from overseas ever since March 19 when we made our first diagnosis to the 23rd when a decision was made by the Prime Minister that we were going to use Government funded quarantine facilities, we had a total of 1400 Fijians that we were watching and to date we have 589 left to complete their days of isolation and quarantine.”

Dr Waqainabete said majority of these people had been asymptomatic.

Fiji currently has 15 cases ofCOVID-19.

 

 

More Stories