The Electoral Commission of the Republic of Fiji and the Fijian Elections Office (FEO) have assured the public that nationwide voter registration efforts will continue uninterrupted despite Cabinet delaying a final decision on the proposed Local Government Elections.
In a joint statement issued yesterday, the two institutions acknowledged Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka’s announcement that Cabinet had deferred its decision on the Local Government Elections for another two weeks.
The Local Government Elections had initially been scheduled for September 2026.
“The Electoral Commission and FEO await Cabinet’s final decision and will respond accordingly once it is communicated,” the statement said.
Despite the uncertainty surrounding the municipal elections, electoral authorities stressed that the ongoing Nationwide Voter Registration and Awareness Drive under the YES Outreach programme would continue as planned.
“Cabinet’s deliberations do not affect the registration process, and every eligible Fijian is urged to register,” the statement said.
The voter registration campaign runs until June 13 and is aimed at strengthening both the Local Government Register of Voters and the National Register of Voters ahead of the next General Election.
According to the Electoral Commission and the FEO, the next General Election could be called at any time between August 7, 2026 and February 6, 2027.
“Every registration completed today is an investment in Fiji’s democratic future, regardless of which election comes first,” the statement said.
Since voter registration for the municipal elections began on April 13, Voter Services Centres have progressively been established across all 13 municipalities around the country.
The FEO said its nationwide teams had already delivered registration and voter awareness services to about 16,125 people through visits to villages, settlements, schools, tertiary institutions and business houses.
“The public response has been encouraging and reflects the genuine desire among Fijians to participate in the democratic process,” the statement said.
The FEO has called on eligible voters who have not yet registered, or who need to update their details, to visit the nearest Voter Services Centre as soon as possible.
The Electoral Commission and the FEO also reaffirmed their commitment to ensuring free, fair and credible elections in accordance with the Constitution.
“In doing so, the nation’s electoral institutions reaffirm their unwavering commitment to delivering free, fair, and credible elections,” the statement said.


