5G network on its way – Kamikamica

Listen to this article:

Deputy Prime Minister Manoa Kamikamica speaking at the FCEF Breakfast in Suva, on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. Picture: ELIKI NUKUTABU

Government has started the process of installing the 5G mobile telecommunications network in Fiji, says Deputy Prime Minister Manoa Kamikamica.

He highlighted this at the Breakfast with Ministers organised by the Fiji Commerce and Employers Federation at the Grand Pacific Hotel, Suva, yesterday.

Mr Kamikamica said their aim was to make Fiji the technological hub for the region.

Currently, 95 per cent of Fijians have access to 3G and 4G networks, while the other 5 per cent is unconnected.

Mr Kamikamica said they had a plan to connect the rest of Fiji’s population to the internet in the next four years.

He said the plan would be first submitted to Cabinet for endorsement.

“I would like to advise that 5G is on its way to Fiji,” he said.

“Right now, we are issuing licences to the two players for the testing, there are some regulations we need to step through and once that’s done we will rolling out the 5G network.”

Fiji has the lowest mobile data rate in the region and the fourth cheapest in the world, with 10GB of mobile data available for around $3.

Whereas the three countries ahead of Fiji, 10GB mobile data was $2.50.

Mr Kamikamica said Fiji’s data rate was reasonably competitive.