Two former Fiji Independent Commission Against Corruption officers were identified as the alleged principal disclosers of Commission information in the Charlie Charters matter, prompting FICAC to refer the investigation to police for independent review.
In a statement, FICAC said the matter and its investigation file were referred to the Fiji Police Force on July 1, 2026.
“The decision followed the identification of two former FICAC officers as the alleged principal disclosers of Commission information,” FICAC said.
The Commission said the involvement of its former officers meant it considered an independent review outside FICAC appropriate.
“Once former officers of the Commission had been identified, FICAC considered that it was appropriate for the investigation file to be independently reviewed outside the Commission.”
The investigation file was subsequently referred to the Commissioner of Police to review the evidence and work undertaken by FICAC and determine what action, if any, should follow.
FICAC has also stressed that the referral occurred before the High Court delivered its ruling in the Charlie Charters matter on July 24.
“The referral occurred on 1 July 2026, before the High Court delivered its ruling on 24 July 2026,” the Commission said.
“It was therefore not a step taken in response to that ruling.”
FICAC said it has since written to the Chief Registrar and provided a copy of its July 1 letter explaining the basis for referring the matter to police.
The Commission said this was done so that the correct factual position surrounding the referral could be placed before the High Court.


