Homemade mouthwash with essential oils
14 May, 2019, 8:47 am
WITH almost everything so pricey these days, it’s so much easier if we learn to use whatever we have from our kitchen.
Have you ever tried a natural mouthwash that kills harmful bacteria and leaves your breath smelling minty fresh?
Not to worry because according to website smarticular.net, this recipe for homemade mouthwash will give you a strong foundation for healthy teeth and clean breath.
“Along the way you can reduce waste from unnecessary packaging, use a healthy natural product free from preservatives and dyes and save money,” reported the website.
How to make homemade mouthwash
- 500 ml / two cups of lukewarm distilled water;
- 40 g / 1 ½ ounces of xylitol (birch sugar);
- Two teaspoons baking soda;
- 10 drops of peppermint essential oil; and
- an empty glass bottle with screw cap.
Place all the ingredients in the screw-top bottle, put the lid on and shake vigorously. After a few minutes all the ingredients will dissolve in the water — your homemade mouthwash is ready to use!
To use just take a sip and swish it around in your mouth for about a minute, then spit it out. You can use your mouthwash every morning, after brushing your teeth or anytime you want a clean fresh mouth. There is no need to rinse with water as that would remove the protective film of xylitol.
How this homemade mouthwash works
- The baking soda neutralises acid contained in the mouth and thus prevents erosion of the tooth enamel.
- Xylitol (birch sugar) prevents the development of cavities. Studies have shown that regular intake can even reduce existing cavities. The xylitol eliminates the causes of cavities and enables remineralisation of tooth enamel.
Unlike normal sugar, it can not be metabolised by the decay-causing bacteria. We also make toothpaste and cough drops with birch sugar. There are even chewing gums with Xylitol to improve the health of your teeth.
- When used regularly, it reduces the formation of plaque and tartar.
- With a few drops of peppermint oil, the mouthwash tastes pleasantly fresh and ensures good breath.
To ensure the best dental health you have to combine a healthy diet, with good dental care which includes regular brushing, flossing, using mouthwash and getting regular check-ups with your dentist.