FORMER supervisor of elections Mohammed Saneem’s civil action against the Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions Laisani Tabuakuro for making defamatory statements against him will be called in November.
According to Mr Saneem’s statement of claim, on July 3 last year he had posted a ‘Statement from the Attorney-General’ from the Fiji Government Facebook page which he captioned, “Abuse of office. None of his actions are unlawful. The State should be a model litigant. Those appointments and terminations he purported to do are all unlawful.”
Ms Tabuakuro then commented on the post saying: “So rich coming from you. Stop spreading lies, you unethical lawyer. The Supreme Court told you it will not rule on this issue, so there is no issue with your criminal charges.”
Mr Saneem said the comments greatly injured his credit, character and reputation, and had been brought into scandal, odium and contempt.
One of the orders sought by Mr Saneem is an injunction restraining Ms Tabuakuro from further harassing or defaming him on any social media platform.
The case has been adjourned to November 14.