Caution interview done, Charters maybe held overnight – Lawyer

Listen to this article:

Charlie Charters – SUPPLIED

The first session of caution interview with a citizen publisher Charlie Charters at the Fiji Independent Commission Against Corruption (FICAC) office is completed a short while ago.

Mr Charters lawyer, Seforan Fatiaki said the session was now suspended until later this afternoon.

“Charlie is in good spirits,” he said.

“He will most likely be held again overnight and produced in court on Monday.

“He has not been charged yet. Caution interview has to be completed first.”

A statement released by Mr Charters in the morning by his lawyer, Seforan Fatiaki has confirmed that Mr Fatiaki had been informed by the FICAC that he was being detained on suspicion of aiding and abetting a FICAC whistleblower under Section 45 of the Crimes Act 2009. He said FICAC investigating officers were also dealing with him in professional, considerate and attentive manner.

The whistleblower is alleged to have breached Section 13G (Divulging Official Information) of the FICAC Act.