A FAMILY in Nagata settlement in Labasa is mourning the loss of their son, 15-year-old Mohammed Altanzif, who allegedly drowned in the Nagata River on Saturday afternoon.
Mother, Muntaz Bano, 38, said they were still coming to terms with the incident.
“The last thing he (deceased) told me was not to get closer as the river was too deep and that I should return home,” she said.
Mrs Bano said her son was a very strong and active boy.
The late teen was the second eldest of five siblings and attended Labasa Special School.
“We were at home and he wanted to go and join his cousin and other brothers who were swimming at the nearby river.
“It was around 2.30pm when he came to ask permission to go swimming and after a few minutes, I felt something really strange within me and I decided to go and check on the boys.”
Upon reaching the river, she heard one of her sons shouting for help.
“I saw Mohammed waving his hands above the water and shouting for help,” she said.
“I tried my best by tossing a bamboo into the water for him to grab but that was of no use.”
Police spokeswoman Ana Naisoro confirmed the alleged incident, saying attempts to revive the victim were unsuccessful.
The drowning death toll now stands at 12 compared with 21 for the same period last year.