Deadline looms for candidate nominations

Supervisor of Elections Mohammed Saneem. Picture: JOVESA NAISUA

SIX provisional candidates out of 178 candidates have been disqualified from contesting the 2018 General Election.

Highlighting this earlier this afternoon, Fiji’s Supervisor of Elections Mohammed Saneem confirmed that only four out of the eight registered political parties have so far filed their nominations with the Fijian Elections Office (FEO).

These are the FijiFirst party, National Federation Party, Social Democratic Liberal Party and the Fiji Labour Party.

He elaborated that the FijiFirst Party filed its nomination with the Fijian Elections Office on October 8, 2018 and out of the 51 nominations the FEO approved 50.

Mr Saneem said the nomination for FFP provisional candidate Naziah Ali was not approved on the basis of not being in the country for a period of 18 months out of the two years immediately preceding the writ.

He said SODEPLA filed their nominations earlier on Thursday, October 11, 2018 and out of the 51 candidates nominated, FEO had approved 50 candidates. The nomination for Adi Narayan was not approved on the basis of non-confirmation of his status as it currently appears to be a dual citizenship.

Mr Saneem said the National Federation Party filed its nominations on October 11, 2018 and 50 candidates from the party have been approved while one candidate did not meet the requirement as per the Electoral Act to be in the country for 18 months out of the 24 months preceding the date of the writ.

He said Feroz Gulam Mohammed was out of the country for a total of 222 days and as a result did not meet the requirement set out by the Electoral Act.

Mr Saneem said the Fiji Labour Party filed its nomination on October 12, 2018 and out of the 25 candidates only 22 have been approved.

He clarified that the three FLP nominations, who were not names, were not approved as the nominees had prior criminal conviction which disqualified them under the Electoral Act.

Mr Saneem said political parties had until midday tomorrow, Monday, October 15, 2018, to nominate another candidate in place of the person who was not approved or alternatively they can file an appeal with the Electoral Commission for the reconsideration of the decision on October 16, 2018.

He said the nominations will close tomorrow at mid-day and FEO will not accept any further nominations after midday.

Mr Saneem said they would try to ensure that all nominations received tomorrow were processed by midnight tomorrow so it could reach the newspapers for Tuesday’s publication.

More Stories