Ministry of Health permanent secretary Dr James Fong announced 94 new cases of COVID-19 last night.
As the numbers rose, more than 200 placard-bearing residents of the Narere Stage 1 containment zone rallied at a police checkpoint yesterday to say they were desperate for food.
The protesters also claimed they were being unreasonably restricted and raised serious concerns about the welfare of their children and elderly who needed medication.
When informed of the situation at Narere, Dr Fong said, “Our team is sorting out tests today and we are most likely to open the area tomorrow”.
Late yesterday afternoon, the Ministry of Economy with the assistance of police were expected to distribute food rations in the area from 6pm to 7pm.
Community spokeswoman Maryjane Avoiki said the only assistance they received so far was in the form of rations from Government two weeks ago which had long run out.
“The least they can do is at least provide us with food, if they cannot do this they need to free us so we can go and fend for our families,” she said. “There are no more COVID-19 cases in this community.
“We have been swabbed thrice and were told restrictions would be lifted last Sunday but this did not happen.”
Another resident, Seria Wati, said she was very concerned about her husband who was a diabetic.
“He is slowly losing his vision because he has not had his medication due to the containment and movement restrictions,” she said.
“I have 15 people at home including relatives from Moturiki who were stuck in Suva when the outbreak happened and we are all crowded in a small house.”
Expectant mother Vasemaca Vudidra said she was worried since she was seven months pregnant and the last clinic she had attended was two months ago.
Ms Vudidra said even babies in the communities had not had their clinics and mothers were worried. She said a lot of expectant mothers shared similar concerns.
Police spokeswoman Savaira Gonedua said a team was dispatched into the area to calm the residents and they were requested to return to their homes.
She said police heard their call for much needed food supplies and the message was communicated to the Economy Ministry which was responsible for food distribution.
Questions sent to Economy Minister Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum and Economy Ministry manager/co-ordinator infrastructure sector, budget and planning division Kamal Gounder remain unanswered.


